Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A day in the life

Dearest readers of my blog (all 10 of you):

I apologize for not having posted this week. I feel almost a motherly obligation to you, and believe me, each day that passes in which I don't fulfill your needs tugs at my heartstrings.... Okay, enough of that. Seriously, though, I apologize. At least it's for a good reason: I just got my first few freelance gigs last week, so I've been reporting and writing my butt off. Eek!

I don't really have much to say, except about the topics on which I've been reporting, but I figure I can just post a link to the stories once they get published. So instead, I'll do what every blogger is entitled to do every once and a while: babble.

I found more evidence last night that I'm my mother's daughter. My Mom (and sister) suffer from vasovagal syncope, a predilection for fainting that is triggered, in their cases, by discussions about or glimpses offor lack of a better way to say itanything subcutaneous (e.g. don't tell them the intimate details of your recent surgery, or they'll pass out). Because of this, they have to lie down when they have their blood drawn, because they usually faint during the process.

I've never had a problem with this, and kind of considered myself the She-Ra of the family because of it. Well, not so fast, my body told me last night. A close friend of mine was telling me the details of a medical procedure she had done yesterdayI'll spare you a recap, especially since doing so could leave me slumped on the floorand suddenly I felt intensely nauseous. I excused myself and got up, thinking I might throw up, but when I did, I found myself so dizzy I had to lie down instead. Five minutes later, I was fine; but needless to say, I didn't ask her to finish the story.

Very bizarre, that isespecially since the phenomenon is, from what I can tell, entirely psychological (the syndrome itself can have physical triggers; it's just that my familial version seems to be entirely psychosomatic).

Anyway, so that was the most exciting thing that has happened to me in the last 24 hours. I am not infallible!! Dammit.

Isn't my life grand?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! I thought you were She-Ra, too. I hope this was just a one-time thing for you. Are you eating right? Whatever that is?

Hugs, Aunt Wendy

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that makes me Shadow Weaver!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not my style, but might do the trick?

;-)

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home